April 9, 2010

A few thoughts on Hawaii-updated

There are always things running through my mind about Hawaii; things I love and things that really drive me crazy. I wanted to share a few while I am thinking about it.

Slippers: that's what we call flip-flops. I love it!
Radio birthday calls: every morning on the main radio station people call in and say happy birthday to friends and family. They spend a lot of time doing this and I think it's really cute.
School Zone speed limits: The speed limit is 15 miles per hour, which is fine, but it's not very clear where the speed limit covers exactly. Sometimes there are signs that just say the speed limit is 15 mph, (like all the time?), but other ones say it is when school is in from 7-3, and others say 'where children are present'. There is also not a clear end to the zone, unless it's the next posted sign which is a half mile after the last crosswalk. I am always so paranoid that I will drive too fast, but I don't want people to hate me for going 15 when I don't have to. Annoying!
Turning lanes: For some reason, it seems like the Kaua`ians aren't too fond of turning lanes. So even though there are only 60,000 or so people that live here, there are a lot of traffic issues. The main highway is only 2 lanes so if you need to turn left, people behind you have to wait forever. So stressful!
Keiki: (pronounced kay-key) I know I mentioned this before, but I still have to share. This means little child and I just think it is so cute sounding. We call Mad our little Keiki all the time.
Kama`aina rates: this is a discounted price for people that live on the island. Some things are only slightly discounted, but others, like golf, can be really cheap. Spencer still needs to go get his driver's license so he can get out and golf. His brother, Jeff, bugs him all the time about it. :)We're really grateful we don't have to pay full tourist rates very often.
Aunties and Uncles: This is one of my very favorites. Basically any adult woman is an auntie and adult man is an uncle to pretty much anyone else. The kids will call me Auntie Erin or even kids I don't know will call me auntie to get my attention. Spence and I have been lazy about having our children call their aunts/uncles with the title first, like Uncle Dave, but it's definitely something we will do now. Except friends, ward members, neighbors will all be aunties and uncles too! Love, love, love it!

That's all I can think of right now. I'll post again when I come up with some more.

2 comments:

Tasha said...

It looks like you guys are doing great! I can't believe Madelyn's adorable curls! My girls have curls too, but not that perfect! Maybe I should try a leave in conditioner! Oh your poor thumb, I'll make sure I'm carful as I cut my fabric! I want you to post Aidan's quilt you made PLEASE! I love seeing quilts!

Kelly M said...

When I tell Evan about the golf discount, we might be able to come out a little sooner!