June 8, 2008

The triathlon (or should I say biathlon?)

Getting ready for the swim
Finishing the swim. Cool shot, huh?
Almost there!
I woke up on Saturday morning to a downpour. We still got everything and everyone ready and headed out to the race. After being there for about an hour they decided to cancel the bike portion. Brakes don't work very well when wet so they were trying to keep us safe. It was then decided to shorten the swim from 800 meters to 500 meters, also for safety since it was so cold. The temperature outside was around 45-50 degrees. Freezing, especially when you think about standing around in it while wet for 2 hours before putting on a wetsuit and jumping into a ice cold pond. There were rumors that the water was warmer than the air, so my friend Dana and I were very hopeful, but it was NOT true. Talk about cold. I thought my muscles would freeze and might not get me to the finish but they did. Then I ran the 5K. It was definitely not my best time, but it was much improved since I went back on Advair for my asthma. I have more hope for the rest of the races that I am doing this year. I was disappointed that I wasn't able to do the full triathlon and thought I might want to try to do one in 2 weeks, but I have decided to just focus on the Olympic triathlon in July. I have 7 weeks. Despite the cold and all the changes, I am so glad I still did the race. It was a great experience and I can't wait for the next one.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Those were some cool pics. Sorry to hear about the rain and the freezing cold. We're anxious to hear about the Olympic triatholon in July.
Way to go! We're very proud of you!

Janell said...

You Rock Erin. You're such an inspiration! I can't believe it was so cold last weekend. We had 104 degree weather that day. Ironic! Keep us posted on your other races. I love the pic of you ending your swim.

Shannon said...

Can't believe you still did it! Only 2 of our 14 boys registered did! The others didn't due to cold and weather - given they have another one this coming weekend and the following.

Savanna Sorensen said...

Congratulations on the race. I think that is so neat that you are doing triathlons. Keep up the good work.

Savanna Sorensen said...

Congratulations on finishing the biathlon. That is so neat and what an accomplishment! Keep up the good work.