So I know it is way past the time I said I would post the details, but I was waiting on pictures which I feel help tell the story.
The race was so fun, amazing and completely exhausting, (which I am sure most of you are saying, duh! Triathlons are exhausting!). I have never felt so physically and mentally tired in my life! During the final run in to the finish line, I almost fell several times because I felt like my legs would not support me any longer. It's a completely different thing doing twice the distance.
My race was definitely not the best. I was very upset to finish at 3:25 since my goal was 3 hours. But I was off from the very beginning. My swim ended up being 21.5 minutes, but if I could have been able to breathe enough to swim freestyle I am sure I could have done it under 19 minutes.
The bike was pretty good I feel. It's so weird transitioning all the blood from your upper body to suddenly being all in your lower body. The 1st 5 miles I wanted to quit, but after that I felt better. My bike time was 1:31 for biking 25 miles. I was definitely exhausted, but it was fine.
The run (or should I say walk with a few jogs?) wasn't great. My breathing was a huge problem with the run portion. I also had problems with my outer arch of my right foot and I really, REALLY needed to pee. Any ladies out there that have had babies and the repercussions after will know what I am talking about. The only Porto-potty was a little after mile 3, but it was being used. The time for the run was 1:22. So slow, but what can I say? There are matters sometimes out of your control. But on a side note...my knee was great.
Right after the race we found out that someone had died. Despite all my disappointment, it really put everything in perspective. I was so grateful to be alive.
The race was so fun, amazing and completely exhausting, (which I am sure most of you are saying, duh! Triathlons are exhausting!). I have never felt so physically and mentally tired in my life! During the final run in to the finish line, I almost fell several times because I felt like my legs would not support me any longer. It's a completely different thing doing twice the distance.
My race was definitely not the best. I was very upset to finish at 3:25 since my goal was 3 hours. But I was off from the very beginning. My swim ended up being 21.5 minutes, but if I could have been able to breathe enough to swim freestyle I am sure I could have done it under 19 minutes.
The bike was pretty good I feel. It's so weird transitioning all the blood from your upper body to suddenly being all in your lower body. The 1st 5 miles I wanted to quit, but after that I felt better. My bike time was 1:31 for biking 25 miles. I was definitely exhausted, but it was fine.
The run (or should I say walk with a few jogs?) wasn't great. My breathing was a huge problem with the run portion. I also had problems with my outer arch of my right foot and I really, REALLY needed to pee. Any ladies out there that have had babies and the repercussions after will know what I am talking about. The only Porto-potty was a little after mile 3, but it was being used. The time for the run was 1:22. So slow, but what can I say? There are matters sometimes out of your control. But on a side note...my knee was great.
Right after the race we found out that someone had died. Despite all my disappointment, it really put everything in perspective. I was so grateful to be alive.
A friend asked if I would do it again next year and at the time I honestly wasn't sure. But now...of course. Despite all the training we did, I think we could have done it better. So I will analyze everything and make it better next year.
Spencer did really well. His swim time was 23 minutes which is so great. He is amazing. His bike portion was 1:22 and his run was 1:16 with his total time being 3:11. He had a tough time on the run portion too. At least I didn't puke. He will also do it next year. We are both so grateful to have done this and had these experiences. I truly feel that races like this show you how a lot of hard things are mental, and you can choose to give up or you can choose to keep going. I think that has helped us get through some very difficult times. I love doing these races and I am especially glad that I did them after they are over.
Spencer did really well. His swim time was 23 minutes which is so great. He is amazing. His bike portion was 1:22 and his run was 1:16 with his total time being 3:11. He had a tough time on the run portion too. At least I didn't puke. He will also do it next year. We are both so grateful to have done this and had these experiences. I truly feel that races like this show you how a lot of hard things are mental, and you can choose to give up or you can choose to keep going. I think that has helped us get through some very difficult times. I love doing these races and I am especially glad that I did them after they are over.
2 comments:
You said you were slow, but that's way better than I could do. You both amaze me!
Congratulations on finishing the race! Thank you for posting about the Triathalon!
Glad to hear your knee was okay!
Melanie says "hi" to Sienna!
Again...AWESOME!
Erin, I put the pictures on a disk and put them on your front porch. I tried e-mailing them, but the e-mail bounced. Sorry it took so long to get them to you. Be sure to edit your post and add them. You and Spence both did GREAT!
Post a Comment